More Than 120 Killed As Libya’s Rivals Battle For Tripoli – Independent Newspapers Limited
Politics

More Than 120 Killed As Libya’s Rivals Battle For Tripoli – Independent Newspapers Limited

Southern Libya

Fighting near Tripoli has killed 121 people since strongman Khalifa Haftar launched an offensive earlier this month to take the Libyan capital, the World Health Organization said Sunday.

In clashes between Haftar’s forces and those of the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA), both sides have proclaimed “advances” but neither appears to have taken a substantial lead on the ground in recent days.

With more than 560 people wounded since the fighting started on April 4, WHO said it was sending more medical supplies and staff to Tripoli.

The UN organisation denounced “repeated attacks on health care workers” and vehicles during the fighting, in messages on its Libya Twitter feed.

“Three medical personnel have been killed and five ambulances have been incapacitated by shrapnel,” the UN’s office for humanitarian affairs (OCHA) said in a Saturday statement.

The mounting violence has sparked global alarm about the oil-rich country that has been in turmoil since NATO-backed forces overthrew former dictator Moamer Kadhafi in 2011.

The mounting violence has sparked global alarm about the oil-rich country


Mahmud TURKIA, AFP


In the chaos since, a bewildering array of militias have been seeking to take control, and fighting has flared again shortly before a conference had been scheduled to discuss Libya’s future, an event since cancelled.

Haftar, who leads the self-styled Libyan National Army (LNA), has pushed from his power base in the country’s east toward the Libyan capital in the west, the seat of the UN-backed unity government led by Fayez al-Sarraj.

Haftar has the support of key Gulf Arab states, Egypt and Russia.

On Sunday he met with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi in Cairo, where the duo were “discussing the latest developments in Libya” according to state media.

– ‘Great advances’ –

With gunfire now echoing through city blocks and tanks rumbling through towns and districts south of Tripoli, many panicked residents have fled their homes.

More than 13,500 people had been displaced and over 900 are now living in shelters, said OCHA.

Both sides have launched daily air raids and accuse each other of targeting civilians.

Read More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *