TAGS: Marketing, Overseas
December 18, 2014
A sheriff’s spokesman says 37 people have been hospitalized following an anhydrous ammonia leak in a north Chicago suburb. The spill happened in Beach Park, about 40 miles north of downtown Chicago.
Officers say a tractor was towing two separate 2-ton containers of the chemical when there was a leak.
Police say seven of those hospitalized are in critical, but stable condition, including one firefighter. Three officers who were first to arrive on the scene were overcome by the fumes. They are now in good condition.
Most of those injured suffered breathing problems. Residents within a 1-mile radius of the leak were initially told to close their windows and remain indoors. The plume eventually dissipated.
Leave a Comment
4/25/2019 07:47 PM
Anhydrous ammonia needs to be banned. Very harmful to soil biological life and always has been to human life, too. Wonder how big this lawsuit will become? Sure will not help PR between farmers and the public.
4/25/2019 08:18 PM
I am sure that tractor driver was not where he should have been, and he was negligent by not closing the tank valves before he went into transport mode. From the pictures it looks like he had a hose leak in a residential area, I have used the product for over 40 years with no dangerous incidents because I follow the safety rules. Without this form of fertilizer your food cost will be a lot higher.
Chestertown , MD
4/25/2019 10:30 PM
Dangerous, but not if you know what your dealing with. Most first responders don’t know what to do. I had a tank roll over because a high curb while making a turn and first responders and hazmat crews where walking right up to it and tapping on gauges and valves but wouldn’t listen to man that had all the training, especially when the tank has inhalation hazard written right on it.